Hair fall in pregnancy

Approximately 85 per cent of human hair is growing at any given period, while the other 15% are found in something called a resting phase. The hair in resting phase falls every two to three months to let an all new hair growing in the same follicle. Excessive shedding of the hair during first five months of gestation (pregnancy) is known as Telogen Effluvium, the condition which is quite common. This sort of hair-fall in pregnancy affects approximately 40 to 50 per cent of women. Nevertheless, just like most of the changes that occur during gestational period (pregnancy), this kind of hair fall in pregnancy does not last long.

Abnormal Hair Loss During Pregnancy

Hair loss, which is related to hormonal changes during pregnancy generally, occurs after delivery. During the phase of pregnancy, the number of hairs going under resting phase dramatically increases –which is considered to be physiological phase of the normal hair loss cycle. This problem does not require immediate attention as it will not cause bald spots or intense hair fall, and must start getting normalized within a couple of months after delivery. If new mother feels that she is experiencing unusual hair fall as compared to period of pregnancy, this could be because of vitamin or mineral deficiency.

What Exactly Makes Hair Fall In Pregnancy?

The most common phase of hair fall happens about three months after delivering a baby. The hormone levels shoot up during pregnancy makes the hair root to lose the grip on hair and then let them fall. After delivery, the hormones generally come back to their normal levels that restore the cycle of hair growth, breakdown and repair making hair normal. The normal hair fall, which was delayed because of pregnancy, can fall out altogether. Up to 60 per cent of the hair, which is in the growing state, enters into the telogen resting period. The hair loss generally crests three to four months after delivery as the hair follicle rejuvenates itself. As mentioned earlier, this hair fall in pregnancy is quite physiological and temporary. After 6 months to one year, the hair comes in their normal cycle.

Hair Fall Could Be Triggered By Any Factor That Results In Changes In The Level Of Estrogen Hormone.

In Summary, Hair Fall Could Result From Any One Or More Of Below Mentioned Factors:

• Discontinuance of contraceptive pills or any other hormonal kind of birth control method
• Miscarriage or stillbirth
• Abortion may contribute in hair loss
• Undernourishment during pregnancy (lack of vitamin, protein and mineral supply in food or through medicines) may end up in hair fall.
• Any medicine making hormonal imbalance result in hair fall in pregnancy